IPCA has launched Indias 1st Joint EPR Initiative WE CARE for collection and recycling of Multilayered Plastic Waste as per section 9 (2) of Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016 launched on 28th November 2017. The project was launched by Dr. Rajbir Singh,Commissioner, East Delhi Municipal Corporation and Dr. S.K. Nigam, Add. Director, Central Pollution Control Board at Waste to Energy Plant, Ghazipur Landfill Site, East Delhi. The project was initiated by the consortium consist of PepsiCo India Holdings Pvt. Ltd, Nestle India Ltd., Perfetti Van Melle India Pvt. Ltd., Dabur India Ltd., andDharmpal Satyapal Ltd and implemented in eight cities (Delhi, Noida, Gurugram,Faridabad, Ghaziabad, Chandigarh, Dehradun, and Mumbai) of India.The project has a sustainable approach and is taking care of Social, Economic and Environment aspects on the Nation. The project has the following objectives
- To develop a sustainable supply chain for the Multilayered Plastic waste.
- To educate waste pickers/waste dealers/traders/aggregators on recycling properties of MLP and motivate them to collect and segregate it in best possible way.
- To set up dry waste collection centre in metro cities with the help of local NGOs or waste management agencies to reduce the cost of logistics.
- To build up a network for collection and transportation of post consumed MLP in metropolitan cities, in the first phase, where the consumption of such product is relatively high.
- To encourage people to participate in source segregation of waste for betterment of our environment.
- To explore new recyclers in different regions for maximum recycling of waste with higher margin of profit for waste pickers and lowest rate of logistics,eventually securing value for all stakeholders involved in this process of plastic waste management.
Networking with Waste Pickers Communities IPCA has identified different clusters of waste pickers across the various cities in India and our team met with various waste pickers communities and educated them regarding the incentives of MLP collection and segregation. Through these training and workshops with rag pickers communities, we have developed a network of appx. 1500 waste pickers in all project locations and they are continuously helping us in providing regular supply of post consumed MLP waste for processing. Education and Awareness Program In order to educate waste pickers/waste dealers/traders/aggregators about MLP and motivate them to collect and segregate, street plays and workshops were organized at different locations of the selected cities. They were also educated on their personal health and hygiene. MLP Collection and Processing IPCA team has created a network of appx. 1500 waste pickers in eight different cities, who are actively working in the field of collection and segregation of MLP. IPCA has channelized the collected MLP waste to East Delhi Waste Processing Company Ltd. at their Waste to Energy Plant, Ghazipur, Delhi, Geocycle Ltd at their cement kiln plant at Gagal, Himachal Pardesh, and Deluxe Recycling Pvt. Ltd., Thane, Maharashtra.